The Dipotamata in Andros
The Dipotamata is one of the most beautiful places on the island, a terrestrial paradise with lush vegetation, old watermills and stone bridges. It is a river of great natural beauty, about 7 km long, in the south-eastern side of the island, between Syneti, Palaiokastro and Kochilos. It is part of a trail made by those who wanted to go from Chora to Korthi and vice versa. Until 1950, this was the only way of communication. The natural environment has remained unchanged since traffic has been interrupted for the last 35 years. The vegetation is very dense (with oleander, pistacia, mulberry, figs, wild oaks, wild shrubs, reeds, rushes, blackberries, myrtle trees, wild mint, peppermint, agnus-castus, ivy). The whole ravine is a refuge for a number of animals such as ferrets, badgers, hares, snakes and birds (mainly partridges).
The gorge crosses a wide cobbled path. At the point where the river intersects, there is an arched bridge with small springs / fountains here and there. There are more narrower carved paths, serving the connection of the surrounding villages of the area with their fields and their groups of watermills. Also are saved (except the trails, the fences-stone walls, the watermills and their auxiliary buildings) the stables, barns, rural warehouses, threshers and chapels. But the most important buildings of the area are the watermills (saved 22) that have been made by skilled and famous in their time technicians.