Showing 26 from 26 ItemsToggle Filters
In Riva’s square, on the lower edge of Chora dominates the statue of the Afanis Naftis (missing sailor), in honor to all sailors who have lost their lives in the sea.
The oldest city in Europe The archaeological site of Strofila in Andros is the largest settlement of the Modern Neolithic Age that was located in the Aegean Sea during the excavations by the KA’ Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities. With the recent excavations in the Cyclades, sets the Cycladic prehistory on completely new bases. The knowledge of the form and structures of important settlements of the Final Neolithic, the Early Cycladic and the Mesocycladic era is finally attained, while information on the Early Cycladic and Mesocyclic cemeteries is increased. New elements come to light for the Late Cycladic facilities and Mycenaean Acropolis. The data of Cyclades historical times are also redefined, by the study of ancient cities, cemeteries, sanctuaries and farmhouses that were little or no known, as well as the new knowledge about mainly archaic art. The settlement of the Final Neolithic period Strofilas, the “ancient city of Europe” dates back to 4,500-3,300 BC. and came to light almost intact. The ruins of the unique in size and its preserved fortified and densely settlement, extending at a distance of 25-30 acres in the center of the plateau, on the west coast of the island. During the excavations, relics […]
It was founded in 1981 by a donation of the Basil & Elise Goulandris Foundation, with by the design of Stamos Papadakis. It has findings from excavations in Andros.
It is housed in the old ice-cream factory of Mantzavelaki, at the entrance of Chora, at Paradise Hotel. It presents exhibits from the life of Andros and copies of Christian art. Institution has become the Lemon Feast on the Easter Big Saturday and the Festival of Wine, Cheese and Bread Bread on Andrew on the eve of the Holy Spirit.
Nearly 3,000 volumes from Theofilos Kairis private collection and 85,000 books in total are here.
The Kydonieos Foundation was founded in 1994 by Petros and Marika Kydonieos. It is housed in a lovely house, an architectural example of the interwar period.
Its exhibits reveal the rich history of the shipping of Andros, with charters, contracts, maritime events calendar and diaries, lithographs, photographs and models of Andriot ships.
The Monastery of Agia Marina. The monastery of Agia Marina is located in the region of the Village Apoikia. It is unknown when it was built, the oldest reference about it dates back to the 17th century. The Holy Monastery of Agia Marina, with its holy water and its miraculous icon, gathers many believers mainly from Cyprus because of the miracle that happened years ago to a child from there. The monastery celebrates on July 17 in memory of the Saint.
The monastery of Agios Nikolaos in Vounenois is located in the Achla river valley, under Vourkoti.
The holy Monastery of Panahrantos, is situated on the northern slope of Mount Gerakones, in the place of Katafygio.
The Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi or Agias, is the largest monastery on the island and is located between Gavrio and Batsi.
On the 28th of July 1979 the Basil and Elise Goulandris Foundation inaugurated the Museum of Contemporary Art in Hora, capital of Andros and birthplace of Basil P. Goulandris.
The Riva, The bridge and the wide sea. After the fall of Constantinople by the Franks in 1204, Andros fell to the share of the Venetians with the first ruler of the island, Marina Dendolo. The domination of the Venetians lasted for 250 years. In 1207 Dandolos builds the castle of Chora, where the rock touches the sea. The ruins today are a bit reminiscent of the terrible loopholes, but the remnants of the wall are distinguished. The castle connects with the island with a stone vaulted arch bridge. To protect the inhabitants, by the pirates, they built the city in the castle on the narrow peninsula between Paraportius and Nimbori. Chora still carries the traces of the Venetians even nowdays. The remnants of the wall are distinguished. The arch rebuilt after the war.
The legend says that Pasha San Riza, who lived on the island of Evia, lost his fez in a stream, which ends up in the village of Apoikia, in Andros, to a source of water, which took his name later. They say that the source of Sariza is connected with Evia.
The Tower of Agios Petros in Andros, Hellenistic (4th-3rd century BC) is one of the best preserved Cyclades.
Agios Petros, Andros
The waterfalls of Pythara in Andros The stream of Pythara is located in Apoikia, 10 minutes away from the road through a smooth path full of vegetation. The route predisposes you to the beauty that you will see in “The Land Of Fairies”, as the folk tradition calls it. Its abundant waters run wild and create an amazing biotope in the green landscape with waterfalls and lakes where aquatic life abounds. The springs are on Mount Petalos, in the area of Evrosies, and the estuary is on Gialia beach. It is a small ecosystem for many birds, amphibians and rare species of plants and wildflowers that grow throughout the stream. Pythara is used to irrigate the fields and from 1863 to 1936 the waters of the largest water mill in the Balkans, the “Fabrika” a little further down in the village of Stenies.
The most important exhibits are the marble lion, the marble statuette of Artemis and the marble plaque with the unique hymn in Greece in honor of the goddess Isis.
Archaeological Site of Paleopoli Andros Palaiopoli was the ancient capital of Andros and the only City on the island during the Classical Years. It was founded in the 7th-6th century BC. and has flourished. In the 1st century AD. began its decline. In the 4th century AD. it destroyed by an earthquake and part of it sank into the sea. It Inhabited until the early Byzantine era. From the ancient city the wall is preserved up to 3 meters in some places, sanctuary, a temple dedicated to the Pythian Apollo (late 6th century BC), worshiped as the main deity along with Dionysus in Andros, cemeteries, etc. . From there comes the Kouros, who now adorns the Andros Archaeological Museum and perhaps a Kori, which now is in a museum in Copenhagen. The archaeological excavation has revealed the city of classical times with its agora, the sewerage and irrigation network and most importantly, that its inhabitants knew how to work metal. So they could exploit the mineral wealth. The excavation has brought to light, also houses of the early Christian centuries, as well as a three-aisled basilica, which is preserved in good condition at a height of three meters. It is likely […]
The ancient city of Ypsilis, in Aprovatos, was discovered in the early 1980s. The first excavations brought to light important ancient relics, such as the temple in the center of the acropolis, buildings and part of the wall, as well as many movable finds.
Cave “Foros” is located in the village of Aladino in Andros Island and is 4km away from the capital of Andros, Chora. It occupies an area of about 500sqm and is one of the first discovered caves in Greece.It is the number 15 in the relevant E.S.E list (the Hellenic Speleological Society).
Cyclades Olive Museum As we realize how much our life and culture are associated with the olive tree as well as its products and the techniques and methods of olive oil production evolve, the more necessary is – especially in a time of rapid change – the preservation and the emergence of traditional, animal-powered olive mills. The majority of them, however, ceased to function since the late 1960s. From the well-preserved old, animal-powered mills of Andros, we got the “screw” of Dimitris Helmi in Ano Pitrophos. The building dates back to 1823. It was restored and turned into a museum area, where visitors of all ages allowed to see it. The museum gives the possibility to approach culturally valuable product but also be familiar with the old and traditional techniques of production. The museum’s building with its equipment is an excellent example of rural heritage, pre-industrial technology and architectural heritage.
The Dipotamata is one of the most beautiful places on the island, a terrestrial paradise with lush vegetation, old watermills and stone bridges. ΕIt is a river of great natural beauty, about 7 km long, in the south-eastern side of the island, between Syneti, Palaiokastro and Kochilos.
The Maenad’s Springs are located in the traditional settlement of Menites, surrounded by walnut and plane trees. The water springs from the mouths of marble lions, in the small shady square with the taverns and cafes.
Το Κάστρο της Φανερωμένης ή Πάνω Κάστρο ή της Γριάς το Κάστρο ήταν η μεγαλύτερη μεσαιωνική πόλη της Ανδρου
One of the characteristic architectural remains of the glorious past of the island is the lords tall square towers of the 17th-19th century, which were in the region.