Showing 5 from 5 ItemsToggle Filters
The legend says that Pasha San Riza, who lived on the island of Evia, lost his fez in a stream, which ends up in the village of Apoikia, in Andros, to a source of water, which took his name later. They say that the source of Sariza is connected with Evia.
The waterfalls of Pythara in Andros The stream of Pythara is located in Apoikia, 10 minutes away from the road through a smooth path full of vegetation. The route predisposes you to the beauty that you will see in “The Land Of Fairies”, as the folk tradition calls it. Its abundant waters run wild and create an amazing biotope in the green landscape with waterfalls and lakes where aquatic life abounds. The springs are on Mount Petalos, in the area of Evrosies, and the estuary is on Gialia beach. It is a small ecosystem for many birds, amphibians and rare species of plants and wildflowers that grow throughout the stream. Pythara is used to irrigate the fields and from 1863 to 1936 the waters of the largest water mill in the Balkans, the “Fabrika” a little further down in the village of Stenies.
Cave “Foros” is located in the village of Aladino in Andros Island and is 4km away from the capital of Andros, Chora. It occupies an area of about 500sqm and is one of the first discovered caves in Greece.It is the number 15 in the relevant E.S.E list (the Hellenic Speleological Society).
The Dipotamata is one of the most beautiful places on the island, a terrestrial paradise with lush vegetation, old watermills and stone bridges. ΕIt is a river of great natural beauty, about 7 km long, in the south-eastern side of the island, between Syneti, Palaiokastro and Kochilos.
The Maenad’s Springs are located in the traditional settlement of Menites, surrounded by walnut and plane trees. The water springs from the mouths of marble lions, in the small shady square with the taverns and cafes.